[Watchmaking] EP.12 Building the watch - Yellow Diver

Let's build the watch with finished dial.


These are the parts I used.


Case and Bezel

Case: Submariner style diver case, 40mm size with a 120-click bezel

Bezel insert: Black ceramic bezel, Mil-Sub style with hash marks through the bezel


Dial

I airbrushed surfacers and yellow glossy lacquer paint on laser-cut metal dial base, pad printed the logs, indexes and text, then finished with glossy clear top coat. Watch lume paste mixed with little bit of white lacquer paint was applied onto hour index holes.

If you look closely, you can see some dust from the paint job and there are a lot of imperfections. Despite this, It means a lot to me that I made the dial myself with my own design, and I am very satisfied with it.


The Movement

Seiko NH38 movement;
A movement from the NH series, for open-heart and non-date.


Hands

Mercedes style hands with black thick painted edges.

Because of the thick edges, there is not enough clearance between the hands, so it was a bit of a challenge to assemble.


Strap

The strap is a matching FKM rubber strap.

Resin or natural rubber straps are too stiff and silicone straps attract the dust.

I love the FKM rubber strap because it's comfortable to wear and doesn't attract dust.


Lume shots

Unintentionally, the lume in the dial, hands, and bezel all glow in different colors, and it looks fantastic!


Epilogue

I've always wanted deep yellow diver watch that I could wear in the summer, and I'm thrilled to have one on my wrist with a dial that I designed and built myself.

I hope that visitors to this blog will find it informative and inspiring, and that they'll be able to share in the fun.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Watchmaking] EP.8 Painting a watch dial - Tools for Airbrushing Lacquer Paint

[Watchmaking] EP.13 Making a full lume dial - Planning

[Watchmaking] EP.11 Adding color to the watch lume