[Watchmaking] EP.7 Painting a watch dial - Acrylic Paint

The most easily you readily available paints are acrylic paints. It's easy and cheap to get a wide range of colors, you can mix them to create any color you want, and best of all, you don't have to worry about the paint chipping off because it's very hard when it dries.

If you're a good painter, you can even use your watch dial as a canvas with a fine paintbrush to create some amazing artwork. But unfortunately, I'm not a good painter at all.


I just wanted to paint the acrylic paint evenly on the watch dial. No matter how good you are, it's not easy to paint a surface evenly with a brush. Spraying is a little better option. After diluting the acrylic paint properly, you can spray it with an airbrush. However, acrylic paints tend to have large particles, so you'll need a good, powerful airbrush compressor, and if you have an airbrush, lacquer paints might be a better choice.


Since I didn't have an airbrush at the time, I had to figure out how to evenly apply the acrylic paint to the watch dials. After some searching, I found a technique for painting scale models with acrylic paint that involves using a sponge instead of a brush. This technique involves dipping and applying acrylic paint with a very fine-grained sponge, and cosmetic puff sponges have very fine-grained that allow for a smooth application.


Below are the acrylic paints and puff sponge I used.



And here's the result.



Well.........

It didn't turn out as well as I had expected.

The puff sponge allowed me to apply the paint much more evenly and thinly than I could with a brush, but it didn't bring out the colors of the paint enough. The yellow dial was supposed to be vivid, but it didn't look like that at all. (In retrospect... I think a glossy varnish finish would have brought out the color.)


Anyway, I wasn't happy with the results and ended up buying an airbrush.



From the next post, I'll talk about painting with airbrush!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Watchmaking] EP.8 Painting a watch dial - Tools for Airbrushing Lacquer Paint

[Watchmaking] EP.13 Making a full lume dial - Planning

[Watchmaking] EP.11 Adding color to the watch lume